Used Cars/Used car without a title

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend.

My friend was sold a vehicle from her former boss for a total amount of $1.00. He had recently come into some money and wanted to do her a favor. The vehicle's registration is about to expire and my friend needs to register the vehicle in her name.

The vehicle is currently registered in California. However, it will need to be registered in Colorado, where my friend lives. The former owner claims to have ordered a new title, but has not yet received it. It is reaching the point where my friend cannot drive it without risk of being pulled over. I do not believe the former owner is attempting to get away with anything, but is simply being lazy. My friend is in possession of the vehicle.

Is there a way for my friend, without the assistance of the former owner, to obtain a new title in her name so she may register the vehicle in Colorado? It may be possible to get a signed bill of sale from the former owner. Would this be enough?

I have attempted to find an answer to this issue online, but have not had any luck. Any information you may be able to provide would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you!
- Nathan

Sorry to take so long to respond. I sent your question over to one of my title clerks for her input and this is what she said:

"I hate California... lost title applications for cars titled in the state of California are THE WORST! Roger the last one we did took over 5 months for them to process and get us a title and we currently have one that is approaching 6 months. I talked to them about our deal last week and was able to speak with someone only after staying on hold for almost 4 hrs. The questioner needs to immediately submit paperwork to California (they don't even offer an expedite service to dealers!) and at the same time get a bill of sale from the seller and ask her local DMV office for any suggestions they might have (not sure about Colorado's rules because we don't deal with alot of Colorado titles)

Between you and I you know what I would do...I would go to DMV and get a 30 day trip permit then immediately file a mechanics lien against the car ...wait the 30 days then go get my new Colorado title ...a trick I learned from you... anything to avoid having to deal with California DMV, no wonder they are broke!"

So there you go I hope that helps

Please ask me as many follow ups as you need to fully understand the answer... I am here with you on this until you can give me those perfect 10's on the survey you get after the fact!

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups