Used Cars/Oregon car won't pass. DEQ

QUESTION: Hello Roger,

My son bought a car from a dealer in the Portland area. He should have had a PPI done or he would have ran from this car. When he drove the car off the lot the dealer, Lot 99, said o go get a DEQ and co e back. Before he could get the DEQ the check engine light came on. He took it back and they supposedly worked on it to fix the issue. My son picked it up and and within 100 miles the light came back on. They now have the car back for the 4th time and it's been over 2 months. We asked for our money back and they refused. My son took a loan out and they said take it up with the credit union. That doesn't even make sense. That say they are doing all they can to make it right. I said making it right would be refunding his money and giving back his trade-in.

Do we have any legal recourse to rescind the sale? We have filed a complaint with the Oregon Attorney General but dealer said that doesn't mean anything.

ANSWER: You have this dealer by the shorthairs and guys like this game all dealers a bad name so it's time to say times up and get your money back my email address is roadloans at please send me your phone number and I will call you and tell you how we do this you're going to be happy with this outcome I promise

We are still dealing with this situation. The attorney has been very slow to work with. The dealer got the car to pass DEQ and registered the car in my sons name. The car was still at Lot 99 so we thought we had time to wait for the attorney, Rich Franklin, to file a law suit. Well, at 5:00am the police knocked on my door. It appears that Lot 99 abandoned the car a few blocks from their lot. Someone smashed a window this morning so the police were notifying us. We don't have keys for the car, Lot 99 still has them. Mr. Franklin did send them a very strong letter but they ignored it.

Any Advice?
Greg Schulz

Rick Franklin
Rick Franklin  
Anything I say at this point would be giving you legal advice and you've got the best guy in the state with a law degree on it ... Keep Rick updated and ask him straight up if he has time for this or not because time is of the essence and if he doesn't then ask him to refer you to someone who can do it for you are in the right and abandoning your car off their property where it was vandalized only adds gas to whats already a pretty good fire.  

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups