Used Cars/car value

Hello Roger,
I have a '94 Corvette, coupe...nothing special or unique.
62k miles...decent 20-foot car.
It has a replacement LT-1 motor.
I know there is a deduction in value with a non numbers matching car.
My point, what figure, or percentage, (ball-park) would I deduct from value?

I will give the car to one son, and equivelent in cash to another son, and I am trying to divine fairness....whew.
If you have more than one kid, you know all about ''jelly-bean counting".

Hi Loren,

Interesting question most questions the answer is depends. For starters it depends on the scarcity and condition of the car ... a 94 Corvette isn't of a vintage yet that tend to distinguish it from the pack ...I do know that it was either the 94 or 96 that had the last version of the C4 engine. Obviously as this car ages gracefully and starts to become more collectible you will want to have most of the cars original DNA intact. I saw a 71 or 72 Cuda go through the auction at Barrett Jackson's for over 2 million bucks that had a replacement engine but was otherwise flawless ...if it would have had the original matching engine it would have added another million dollars plus to the sales price.

That said there has been an ongoing problem with fakes especially with Corvettes and the fraudsters have gotten so good that the fakes are very difficult to detect. For your purposes I would calculate zero difference in value between the two. Very few buyers will even care enough to ask and even fewer still will refuse to buy it if they don't match. The only time it comes into play is when the car becomes a collector car that someone intends to bring to back to factory new condition and then show it and enter it into shows etc. Two teenagers won't even care, all they will want to do is drive it

Let me know if you have any follow ups this is an interesting topic  

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups