Used Cars/not sure

"We have two cars, a 99 Plymouth Neon (170K) and a 2003 Toyota Camry (217K), and we have just purchased a new Camry, so we need to let go of one of our prior cars.

The choice is between the Neon and the Camry.
The Neon seems to be feeling its age, a noisier and rougher ride than the Camry. But the Neon repair expenses have averaged about $300/year while the Camry costs $800/year, for the past 3 years. Private market blue book for the Neon is $1300; for the Camry $4000.
Which car is likely to last longer? Which car would it be wiser to keep, the Neon or the Camry? Thanks."

Hi David,

Sounds to me like you haven't had to do a head gasket repair on the Neon yet. Here is what I personally would do and why:

I would run for my life from the Neon and in a beauty/drive-ability/longevity contest with just about anything but a horse and buggy would lose. I have posted the Neon's book values (currently) with this answer and the only good thing I can say about it is that it isn't going to be worth alot less than it is now. These cars have stung me too many times with expensive repair jobs that usually exceed the value of the car when they happen.

I would keep the Camry because even with its 213k miles and based upon the regular oil changes and maintenance's I can tell you have probably done this car will easily go 300k+ and even then it will still be worth as much as the Neon is now.

I hope that helps I just haven't seen that many Neon's with over 200k miles and in my opinion it's because their parts wear out quicker and your description of how it drives is testament to that

I hope this helps ...Please ask all the follow ups you want and congratulations on your new car!

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups