Used Cars/Mother of young children asking about selling and buying a used car

I was wondering if you could let me know how much my 2009 Toyota Yaris, 4 door, 43k miles, single owner is worth. Here are the specs:

Single Owner, Clean and Outstanding vehicle. I bought this great car brand new. Garage Kept. Only 43K miles. Features include: AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio System, Remote Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Cruise Control, 15 Inch Steel Wheels, NEW Michelin® DEFENDER 185/60R15 Tires, Power Exterior Mirrors, Split-Folding Second Row Seat, Intermittent Rear Window Wiper, Rear Defogger, Auxiliary MP3 Audio Input, Dual Air Bags, and Daytime Running Lights. Service records available.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ouch ...I just saw this question and its follow up in my que ...a more thoughtful answer to question number 2 is forthcoming after I get back from dinner but wanted to get you started with this one to give you something to chew on while I chew on some tasty Chinese food.

The Yaris is good merchandise as you can see from the attached book sheet numbers  This is the dealer version of Kelly Blue Book and on your side of the country they are probably using Black Book but values are values and Manheims numbers are the ones I put my faith in in situations like this anyway...

Your car has a Wholesale Book figure of $8,860.00 and a Retail Book value of $11,122.00 this car would be on a Toyota Dealers Lot for $11,995.00 and on everyone else's for $10,995.00 and less. This car has a big add for the low miles that most dealers wouldn't want to pay (on the wholesale front) but would.

On Craigslist where you should be trying to sell it yourself WAY BEFORE YOU EVER CONSIDER TRADING IT IN (PERISH THE THOUGHT!!). Here is why...the trade in value is $7,640.00 and you could easily retail this car yourself for $2,000.00 - $2,500.00 more. That is real money and no matter what the dealer shows you you are getting for it on paper you need to just trust that it will be going into his inventory for around $7,500.00everything you get after that is nothing buit a discount to the sales price of the car you are buying. Soooooooo.....Let's see if Manheim's Market Report agrees (MMR)

The MMR agrees (see attached) your car sold in your general geographic area for $7,800.00 with a few more miles than yours and for $8,400.00 for your exact car with 29k miles on it

Conclusion: Sell it yourself on Craigslist and start it at $10,500.00 then if your phone doesn't ring drop it down by $251.00 every week until it does ...on this car that price point will be under 10 G's and over 9 G's most likely right at $9,900.00 ish. The deal is going to take it in for 7500.00. (ASSUMING ITS IN GREAT SHAPE ETC)

ask as many follow upsas you want I'm going to dinner and will take them up with your 2nd question after I eat.

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups