Using Banks and Bank Accounts/Financial Information

Question
Hi Alexander,
I was recently having a conversation with a co-worker, who is a little bit socially "different", basically he lacks a filter, and he made a statement to me saying:  "I bet you have _____ dollars stashed away in your savings...."  His statement shocked me because he was correct about the amount.  It was rounded to the nearest hundred, but still the fact that he picked that number scared me.  It made me wonder if he somehow accessed my financial information.  His father is a lawyer, so that's the only thing I could think of.  Is it possible that my co-worker would have been able to access my financial information?  Or do you think it was just a really good guess.
Thank you,
Mags

Answer
It is possible to obtain this sort of information using various credit tools. I used to do so in order to collect on judgments. But it was/is not cheap. I wouldn't spent the money just to try to scare someone. But who knows.

There are easier ways of discovering these things though. Overhearing a conversation and then pretending to be psychic. It is surprising how skillful con-men are at collecting information and then impressing people with simple information.

Using Banks and Bank Accounts

Alexander J. Hay