Using Lotus Notes/Automate Return Receipt to Folders

John Jump wrote at 2009-08-11 15:46:35
The answer looks good, but doesn't seem to work!  It appears that Lotus Notes does not consider the "RECEIVED:" in the subject of a return receipt to be part of the subject!  FWIW, I am talking about Lotus Notes 8.5

cloversharon wrote at 2009-08-14 06:33:42
In release version 8x notes client, create a rule, select form contains Return Receipt, add, select folder to move. Cheers

Fred wrote at 2010-03-10 08:30:49
Well, this sorting with "RECEIVED" Wont work as the word "RECEIVED" is just a status of the receipt and doesnt appear in the Subject line. The author should first test something and then post it as a solution.

Stephen Zhang wrote at 2011-08-18 09:45:45
cloversharon's answer is correct. But it doesn't work if put Return & Receipt in same row. I tried, and find if "return" & "receipt" are in two separate conditions, Lotus Notes 8.5.2 could recognize the mail retrun receipt and move/copy them to target folder.

BLLittle wrote at 2011-10-13 18:59:14
Unfortunately, this does not work. In looking at the document properties, the Subject field continues to only be the original subject; RECEIVED: appears to be concatenated for display in the Subject line of the view.  

Biscuit Eater wrote at 2011-12-16 14:10:03
Unfortunately (at least in Notes v8.5), this does not work.  The "RECEIVED" portion of the subject line appears to be some sort of dynamic appendage that is not visible to the Rules mechanism.

For example, if these acknowledgement emails show up in your Inbox with "RECEIVED:*****[original subject]", open the receipt and look at the subject line there.  It will display as "*****[original subject]".  The "RECEIVED" portion is not there.

Regrettably, you cannot key off of the "*****" portion of the receipt either, as the Rules law will not accept asterisks as valid entries.

cliffale wrote at 2012-11-15 10:07:17
Hi Everybody,

I've just attempted your suggestion, but it doesn't work.

I explain my case:

I have also other rules like this:

<< if sender is "" move to folder "PIPPO" >>

So the "return receipt message" is moved always to PIPPO's folder although there is a specific rule for the return receipt...

Is there an order of priority for the rules ?

I also tried to move up the rules for "return receipt" but doesn't seems to be ignored.

Any suggestion?

Thank you for your attention.

jojo wrote at 2013-03-13 15:37:58
you can try add a rule just like "form contains Return Receipt"

Önder çiftçi wrote at 2013-05-15 15:04:19
You can use this rule combination

Form contain Return

AND Form contains Receipt

AND Form contains message:

this combination works well. i tried it.

szaboaz wrote at 2013-10-22 11:12:50
Hi, Lotus Notes 8.5 here.

The "Form" condition was missing from the dropdown list of rules, maybe it was removed somehow.

But I managed to get the same function by creating an agent:

1. "Create" menu, "Agent"

A little window comes up:

2. "Name" -> give it some meaningful name

3. Select "After new mail has arrived" from the dropdown in the Runtime section

You can close the little window now.

4. click on "Document Selection" in the Objects treewiew (left part of the screen)

5. at the bottom of the right part of the screen, click on "Add Condition..."

6. select "By field", then select "Form" as field, then "contains" and write "Return Receipt" as value.

7. click on the "Add" button

8. click on the "(Options)" entry below the "Document Selection"

9. in the right part select "Simple action(s)" from the dropdown

10. click on "Add Action" (bottom of the right part)

11. select "Move to Folder", and select the folder

12. save the agent (File menu, Save)

That's it folks.

Joe wrote at 2014-11-14 20:58:53
I've tried both of the above methods, and nothing seems to work. Return Receipts still end up in my inbox.  

Using Lotus Notes

Asser Samak

Will answer any Lotus Script related questions, help in finding bugs in existing code. Might not be able to help with configuration issues.

Been working as a lotus Notes Application developer at IBM Egypt for over a year now. Developing and Maintaining 2 Notes Applications used as internal tools for IBM world wide

Bachelor Degree in Computer & Systems Engineering. Alexandria University, Egypt