Using MS Access/auto number fields

JRPatDOL wrote at 2014-05-28 15:37:59
I also have this problem.  I do not want to use AutoNumber as some of the records already have an unique number as they are cross walked from another table. I have a Text field (but it could be changed to a number) where some of the records have numbers in them and some do not.  I want to Autofill those blank fields with a number starting at 40000 (e.g.).  Then the next blank record would Autofill to 40001 for that field, and continue for all records with a blank field.   Those records with existing numbers will not be overwritten. That was a great feature in previous versions of Access. When you have thousands of records, it only takes a few seconds to scroll down the list.  

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA