Using MS Access/access multiple users

ive created an access database of which i want several users to be entering data on a network simulteneously...  my problem is users are an able to save thea work if the db is in use by another user.

how do i go around this and make data entry possible??

Access is designed to be a multi-user database without you having to do anything special. The only exception is that two users can't EDIT the same record at the same time (well, Access does sometimes work with small blocks of records, but that's only if you have LOTS of records). Are you getting an error message saying that the records are locked?

Is one of the users opening the database in EXCLUSE mode?

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at