Using MS Access/Access (SQL) string too long

Dear Richard,

I am looking for your help on my Access VBA programming on the string too long case.

In fact, I am going to write some complicated SQL. But the string is too long. From my obversation, it may be longer than 256 characters. So, the strings being truncated at the middle.

As a result, may you let me know if there is any way to make the string longer than 256 characters? Is there any such as the "Long String"? May you show me the example?

Looking for your instruction. Your guidance is appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

With all good wishes,

Yours sincerely,
George Chan
In Hong Kong

I've been building databases for DECADES and I've NEVER needed to make a single SQL command more than 100 or so characters... let alone 256. You need to find a way to optimize your SQL. Perhaps you have too many fields in one table. Perhaps you need to create a nested query solution. Break the query down into smaller, more efficient queries. I've got a 3-part series on SQL and Access. Take a look at some of those tutorials.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training  

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at