Using MS Access/Access (SQL) string too long

Question
Dear Richard,

I am looking for your help on my Access VBA programming on the string too long case.

In fact, I am going to write some complicated SQL. But the string is too long. From my obversation, it may be longer than 256 characters. So, the strings being truncated at the middle.

As a result, may you let me know if there is any way to make the string longer than 256 characters? Is there any such as the "Long String"? May you show me the example?

Looking for your instruction. Your guidance is appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

With all good wishes,

Yours sincerely,
George Chan
In Hong Kong

Answer
I've been building databases for DECADES and I've NEVER needed to make a single SQL command more than 100 or so characters... let alone 256. You need to find a way to optimize your SQL. Perhaps you have too many fields in one table. Perhaps you need to create a nested query solution. Break the query down into smaller, more efficient queries. I've got a 3-part series on SQL and Access. Take a look at some of those tutorials.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training  

Using MS Access

Richard Rost