Using MS Access/autocalculate field

Question
Level of experience: Beginner(new)

Hello Mr. Rost!!
I'm new in MS Access and I'm trying to make a simple invoice program for our small business.
I have "Qty", "Cost", and "TotalCost" as my fields and i want to autocalculate the value of the "TotalCost" field and save the calculated data as well.

(TotalCost=Qty*Cost)

thanks a lot in advance!!

Answer
If it's a value that you can recalculate on the fly, there's no need to save it in the table (well, there are exceptions, but this is a general rule). You can use a CALCULATED QUERY FIELD like this:

TotalCost: Qty * Cost

Now just use that query field for everything else (forms, reports, etc.) and it's just as good as if the data was stored in the table.

Using MS Access

Richard Rost