Using MS Access/MS Access setting up tables

Question
Hello Julie.
I am creating a detailed database for a charity which specialises in rehabilitation. It is a residentail charity.
I need to create a database which will hold alot of detailed information. For example: Residents personal details, daily activities, care plans, accident reports, finances, medical information and reports. All of this information will be presented in a form format. (each piece of information will be displayed in a small window on a page and using tabs.)
What I am asking you is how to set up the tables. I am usually an excel guy so am used to working with multiple sheets but when I spoke to someone a while back about setting up a database they told me it was not the same principle.
So based on the examples above, how should I organise the data? Is it one table for residents, one for diary, one for finances,  or should I create one big table and amalgamate the data in there somehow?
I would appreciate any help you can give and I hope you can understand what I am asking.
Many thanks

James

Answer
Hi James,

Hopefully I can explain this clearly.

For each piece of information where there will be many associated bits of information you will need a new table.

Therefore your main table would be Resident.

Then for each of the others ask, will the related table have many bits of information for that particularly resident.

So each resident would have many daily activities, thus would need a separate table.
Not sure but possibly the resident would have more than one care plan as you would want to keep the old care plans for reference, thus another table.
Also a table for accident reports and finances
Medical information, could possibly included in the same table as the resident.

Reports are a completely different thing, and you are not quite up to them yet?

I would suggest reading my free tutorial on my website, this will give you an idea of how to link the tables using Primary keys and foreign keys.

http://www.simply-access.com/What-Is-Microsoft-Access.html

In this example I use a linking table as I use a library as an example, because clients can borrow many books and each book can be borrowed by many clients.  Doubt you will need a linking table, but the rest of the information is valid.

Good luck  

Using MS Access

Julie Misson