Using MS Access/Multi-user Access Database

Question
Hi Scott,

I was wondering what the best approach would be for creating a multi-user access database that different users would be able to use simultaneously.  I am thinking they would have to log in maybe?  I would also like to know what book I should purchase to help me in creating this database.  It has been a while since I have done any work with MS Access so I am a little nervous about creating this.  I know I can do it, but I don't want it to turn out to be a disaster.  Thanks so much for your help.  It is much appreciated as always.
Cheers,
Carla  :)

Answer
First, Access is, by default a multi-user environment. So little more needs to be done to have multiple users use the database. However, the recommended configuration is to split the database into front end and back end. The back end will contain only the tables and be located on a network share. The front end will contain everything else. The front ends will be located on each users local drive.

As for logging in that is only necessary if you need to either track users, track what users do while in the database or restrict access to users while in the database. And even that may not be necessary if there is no sharing of PCs.

You can take a look at my blog on Login Security to see one method for applying security. You can also pick up the users Windows login ID and authenticate them that way.

Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Website: http://www.diamondassoc.com
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Using MS Access

Scottgem