Using MS Access/Text field in Access db

I created a database of equipment. The name of equipment is defined as "TEXT" with length of 100. When I entered the name "ULLS-A(E)", it was converted to: "ULLS-A".
I want to disable this conversion. Do you know how disable this feature?

I am using MS Accecc 2007.

Mort Hashemi

Hi Mort,

Unfortunately I cannot create the same error. My version of Access, keeps it how you want it.  I am in Australia, where are you?  Just had a thought....It may be a shortcut key .....had a bit of a dig around in Access and I think I have found the solution

If you go to Access Options (Windows Ball upper left hand corner - I think for Access 2007, do not have a copy of it on this computer) and choose Access Options from the drop down list.

Then select Proofing and Auto Correct Options, highlight the (e) and delete it. Or untick Replace text as you type.

I have Access 2010 on this computer so the instructions maybe a bit different for 2007, but hopefully it will point you in the right direction.

All the best.

Using MS Access

Julie Misson

My area of expertise is Microsoft Access 2000-2007. I have been building microsoft databases for the past twelve years. I would be competent in answering questions from novice Access 2000 users to the more advanced including VBA. If I cannot help, I am more than likely be able to point you to websites that can.

I have a Microsoft Access business where I build database for small businesses. These are usually one off designs, where there is no off the shelf software avaliable to meet the business needs. I also teach Microsft Access to beginners. I am the owner of the website.

Self taught in Microsoft Access. Have done some units in normalisation and SQL, but most of what I know I have learnt from books originally and more recently the Internet.