Using MS Access/Automatically updating a date

I am trying to rebuild my departments equipment database in Access instead of excel. It has been a few years since I have worked with Access. I have a problem with trying to get the date updated. As of now on the table and form when I start entering data into a field it starts a new record with the updated time (doesn't update the time of the record I am entering data in). Also the dates are always displayed instead of being updated after data is entered. We are using Access 2000 so very old form of the database.

Sorry, but I'm not getting a clear picture of what you are trying to do.

First, let me say that users should never directly interact with tables. All interaction should be through a form. Before you can edit (update) data in record you have to access that record. Lets say, for example, you are trying to check in a piece of equipment. This means you created a record where you checked out the equipment and now want to add the checkin date/time. So you have to first retrieve that checkout record then update the checkin in field.

If that doesn't help, please try to describe the issue in greater detail and I'll try to help further.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA