Using MS Access/How to count records in a field

Currently, am having problems writing a function to count a series of transactions for one client. I need a function that counts the number of transactions each clients did and the amount of monies spent.  You help would be appreciated, Reginald

Where are you putting this result? In a query? Form field? Form footer?

I would generally recommend using the DCOUNT and DSUM functions for this. See:

DCOUNT Tutorial

DSUM works much the same way.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 90-minute Microsoft Excel Video Tutorial

Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at