Using MS Access/DoCmd.OpenForm w/ Tabbed Form?

QUESTION: Scottgem,

I am building a database for a bowling league.  They have 14 teams and the person running it would like a tabbed form one tab for each team.

I tested building 1 query and then 3 forms for 3 teams and using the DoCmd.OpenForm function and it worked great, I only got the team members for the correct form.  However when I put the 3 forms together on a tabbed form, each tab brought in the full league members AND at the same time opened the 3 other forms (correctly).

Is there away to do the DoCmd.OpenFrom w/ a tabbed form, or something else without having to have 14 queries.

Hope I made sense!  Thanks!  Robecca

ANSWER: I would need to see your table structure to be able to advise you here.

You can do this without multiple queries, but you would need multiple subforms. You will somehow have to separate which team appears in each subform. You can do it with separate filtered subforms or different Recordsources. Either way you need 14 subforms.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

QUESTION: What would you like to see as far as my table structure?

FYI, for a database that I thought would be simple for me since I bowl in the league, whenever I ask a question on a forum I am told that my table I was working with did not make sense. :/

I just got a job where my focus is MS Access - we're building a database, I'm not the lead developer a contractor is but it will be my job to maintain and grow it, so I really want to learn how to develop strong databases/tables.

I took a database development course and a MS Access Intermediate course.  Both instructors gave me opposing advice for my table to capture the scores bowled each game.  One said 1 record per bowler per game, the other said to look at it like a series as my entity, so I would have 1 record for a bowler with 4 game attributes to capture scores.  I went with the last advice since I knew how to design a form that looks like our bowling recap using that structure.

Thanks!  Robecca

ANSWER: The other instructor was not giving you good advice. While he wasn't wrong, it is not properly normalized design. Its amusing that he refers to the proper phrase "entity" but uses it incorrectly.

You have TWO major entities here, the first entity is the series. Attributes of that entity are the date of the series and the team. The second entity is the game. Attributes of the game are the bowler, the score and the series (foreign key).

To illustrate how wrong the other instructor was, In a bowling league, there are lists for High score, high series and High average. There are also lists for team performance. If you have the scores as separate fields in one record how are you going to sort by high score?

That's why I said, if you want to show all 14 teams in a tabbed interface, you need separate subforms that will show each team.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007

QUESTION: I see what you're saying ... I am wondering about other data "unique" to our league and how I tie them in.

1.  Lanes switched after each game, is that with the Game entity?
2.  Bowler position that night (Leadoff, Middle, Anchor)
3.  Bowler bonus points for beating opponent each game
4.  Team bonus points for winning each game against opponent
5.  Which sports pattern was put out that night
6.  High Game / High Series Brackets for the evening.

Attached is the relationship layout from the first advice I got about 1 record per bowler per game.  I just could not figure out how to build a form like a recap sheet where you have the bowler with the games and total pins on one line.

Here is a link to a schema for a bowling league. I think this is much closer to what you need:

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA