Using MS Access/Query / Look up Fields

Question
I am an intermediate user with Access 2010. I'm finding that when I create a table with a lookup field, if I point the look up field to another table for information, I'm not able to filter that data in a query. I have found that if I "type the list" in the table lookup field (instead of pointing to another table), I am able to use the "criteria" filter in a query.

The problem with this is I have multiple tables with this same look up information. Currently I have to manage all the table lookup fields rather than one table that I can just point all the lookup fields to.

Answer
I hate, hate, HATE table-based lookup fields. You should set them up the old-fashioned way using a foreign key field linked to your 2nd table. Use a combo box on a form to display the list of options, but DON'T store the data in your table in a lookup field. See this tutorial: RELATIONAL COMBO BOX.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost