Using MS Access/force user to change pwd at first login

Question
Dear sir,

I have a db with employee ID, surname and password.when they login to the system via a login form it all works well, but I want the user to change their pwd at the first login into the system. Can you help me, thanks in advance.

Answer
What kind of security are you using? If you're using old-style Access 2003 (and before) user-level security, then I'm afraid I can't help you. Microsoft discontinued that with Access 2007 so I haven't worked with it for YEARS. I show my students how to set up their own database security in my ACCESS SECURITY SEMINAR.

Now, checking for the first logon is not hard at all. Just have a y/n field for HasLoggedOnBefore in your employee table, and DLOOKUP the value when they log in. If it's set to NO then launch whatever process you have to to force them to enter their password which, sadly, I don't know how to do. (Did I mention it's been a while). I'm sure if it's possible you should be able to Google some code for it.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 90-minute Microsoft Excel Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost