Using MS Access/MS Access

Hello Expert,
I am designing a database for a library and have some questions:

1.  I have created a field called item type and need it to show the following text:

New Release (ItemReleaseDate>=01/01/2013)
OR Weekly (ItemReleaseDate<01/01/2013)

2. I have created a field called LoanDate, I have also created a field called Return Date which needs to show the following:
=[LoanDate] +7 (weekly) OR =[LoanDate] +3 (new release)

Your help is greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

1. You do not need a field for this. This is a calculated value and should not be stored in your database. Add a control on your form with a controlsource of:

=IIF([ItemReleaseDate]>=#1/1/13#,"New Release","Weekly")

or add a column to a query:

Item Type: IIF([ItemReleaseDate]>=#1/1/13#,"New Release","Weekly")

2. Return date should be used to record the actual date the item was returned. What you are talking about here is a due date. Again, since this is a calculation, then it should not be stored. The following expression can be used to display a Due Date:

This expression will return a date 3 days from the loan date for new releases or 7 days from weekly releases. You can use that expression wherever you need to display the due date.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA