Using MS Access/MS ACCESS Multiple User Access

I was using MS Access 2003 with Windows XP, I made a Program on MS Access 2003 for Files Entry and Status followup put it on Sharing Folder and it was working perfect, multiple users can open the program at the same time from their pc's to add/update their files.

Now the IT Department upgraded all the PC's to Windows 7 and Office 2010, the program is still working but ONE USER CAN USE THE PROGRAM AT A TIME, ON THE OTHER PC THE PROGRAM IS NOT OPENING UNTIL THE FIRST USER EXIT.

Please advise if there is way to setup it for multiple users.

Thanks & Regards,

Make sure that user isn't opening the database in EXCLUSIVE mode. Beyond that it should still work fine. You should upgrade the database format from MDB to ACCDB, but aside from that you shouldn't have to do anything else.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at