Using MS Access/Access 97

Question
A recent response was as follows:  Sounds like you're not performing the import correctly. Looks like you're attempting a FIXED WIDTH import instead of a COMMA DELIMITED import.

A sample of my data file is as follows:
"ATM,0000,POS W GIANT EAGLE IN CANTON OH POINT OF SALE,27.51,".
As you can see, the items are comma-delimited and I have not
selected the FIXED WIDTH option on the imporing screen.
I am wondering if the problem could be that I am importing a
.txt file instead of a spreadsheet.

Thank you,

Chet Bardo

Answer
Nope... shouldn't matter. TXT files should import OK using delimited. As far as I can tell from your sample data that you've shown me there, everything should work OK. If you can EXPORT the data again from the original source, try including DELIMITERS around your text values. Access likes it if your text values are enclosed in, say, double quotes:

"ATM","0000","POS W GIANT",27.51,"ETC."

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost