Using MS Access/creating a drop down list in a query

I am try to let the uses run a report with a drop down list.  After making a form with a drop down list from a table.  I put the criteria in the query as:

=[Forms]![FRM Body_Part_Affected_FRM]![Body Part Affected]

When I run the query I just get brackets with [Forms]![FRM Body_Part_Affected_FRM]![Body Part Affected] No drop down list appears please help me.  Thanks

If by "drop down list" you mean COMBO BOX, then make sure the NAME of your combo box is "Body Part Affected" without the quotes. Personally, I'd prefer that you don't use SPACES in your object names... it eliminates the need for all of the square-brackets. See this tutorial for help with this topic: GETTING QUERY CRITERIA FROM AN OPEN FORM.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at