Using MS Access/Design question

One function of my Ms Access 2010 DB is to do a quarterly report on student's progress. I have a table that contains several ratings for several students and I have a qry that extracts several results for a student for a period of time and this is the source for a report.  This all works well, however, I want to include a 'general comment' field about the students progress in the report footer.  I can't work out how/where to store this field - how I can relate it to the report should I need to reprint this report again.

Would appreciate any suggestions. :)

I would need to see your table structure to tell you the BEST way to set something like this up, but I would set up a StudentNotes table that was basically a date/time field and a memo field (and of course your foreign key field to link it to the student). You could put the notes in there, and then pull it into your report as a subreport. There are a million different ways to do this.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at