Using MS Access/Searching an access database

QUESTION: Hi Scottgem

I am something simple with access I'm trying to do but just can't figure it out. I asked the other Access Expert Bob but he had me lost and seems to be maxed out and isn't accepting any more questions, I am going to try to follow up with him by email but in the mean time just encase, here is my issue.

I am creating  a simple database but there is one part where I am stuck.

Once I have all my data entered I want to have a professional looking search box so data can easily be searched for, so to each there would be a couple of Fields that could be used to search
I.E School, City, Etc so any one or all could be filled in and i would get certain results. I don't know if the word I'm looking for is splash search screen?

This maybe of help the fields that I am using are

This database will be used in a public setting so it needs to be really simple and also needs to be setup so the general public can't get in and mess with the data.

setting up the actual search is what I don't know how to do.

I thank you in advanced for your help

I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

ANSWER: There are multiple ways to do it, but rather than recreate the wheel, one of my colleagues has a tutorial on how to do it with samples.

If you have any specific questions on how to adopt this to your situation, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

QUESTION: hi Scottgem

This was helpful however, when I do a search I want a forum to come up or the ability to click for form to appear as I will have  memo box with  a large amount of information.

I am at a loss, the programming part goes be on my understanding , I have a IT background but not in programming.

any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you try Allen's example? When you enter the criteria, it populates a form. You can modify that form to show the data in your table. Shouldn't require any programming to modify his example.

If you can be more specific I can try to help further.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA