Using MS Access/Access expression

I have the following in a 2003 query.

NGI: IIf([New Grp Code]="Y","B",IIf([New Grp Code]="N","R",IIf([New Grp Code]="A","B",IIf([New Grp Code]="E","B",[New Grp Code])))))

We are converting to 2013 and when I run the query in 2013  I get an error that expression is typed incorrectly, too complex and too many complicated elements.

Could you please give me a suggestion or answer of what the issue maybe.

Thanks you

Well, you've got 4 open parentheses and 5 closing parentheses. That's probably your problem. Aside from that, it looks OK to me. This stuff hasn't changed from 2003 to 2013.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 2-hour-long Microsoft Access Video Tutorial

Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at