Using MS Access/Access 2007 Combo Box Lookup Followup question

I put txtFilter in the Control Source field and get an error message:

Invalid control property:  control source
No such field in the field list

ANSWER: No, not the Controlsource, the Name. On the Other tab. The controlsource should be left blank.

The controlsource of a control is either a field in the Form's Recordsource, an expression that displays a value or just left Unbound.

So this should be an unbound form with a Name of txtFilter. If you didn't name it, then Access can't find it.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: I'm beginning to think I should just give up.  I can type in the text box and a parameter box pops up, type in there but nothing happens.

I now have the txtFilter in the correct location.

And the combo box row source is now:

SELECT ID, [Company/Foundation] FROM [Contact Demographics] WHERE [Company/Foundation] Like "*" & Forms!Development_Data_Entry!txtFilter & "*;";

It keeps auto adding an extra ; at the end

Sorry, leave off the ; inside the quotes.

But if the parameter box still pops up then something is wrong.

Can you upload a copy of your DB? You can upload to a shared space like SkyDrive. Or, if you want, you can post to the Access forum at and attach a zipped copy of the DB.

Hope this helps,

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA