Using MS Access/Access 2007 SQL Server

My organization has moved our Access database to run on SQL Server by creating a backend and frontend.  Each user now has a log-in and read/write permissions have been granted for access.

I need to be able to identify which user creates a new Contact in the database or makes changes to an existing Contact.  Can I create a field to capture this based on their user log-in?  Or is there another way to capture this data?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, but it depends on HOW they log in. Is the login to the back end SQL Server, to the front end? Are PCs shared?

You might check out my blog on Login Security with VBA.

Generally I add 4 fields to my data tables; CreatedBy, Created When, EditedBy and EditedWhen. The By fields are populated with an employeeID captured during the login.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA