QUESTION: I have a database created in MS Access 2013 whose components (Table, Form, Query and Report) are essentially running fine EXCEPT Auto Sum function (Σ), which is rounding figures to the nearest whole numbers in Table and Query, e.g. 90,564.25 is indicated as 90,564.00.

The same problems is evident in Report.  Properties for MS Access Report are set as follows:

Function: =Sum([Pay]) (Pay is the field whose totals I want);
Format: Standard;
Decimal Places:  Auto

I tried the same calculation in Excel, by using Excel’s AutoSum function, and I got exactly what I was hoping for i.e. 90,564.25

Question:  How can I make Access give me a more accurate figure, in all its components (Table, Form, Query and Report)?

ANSWER: Hi Michael,

In your table, change the [Pay] fields datatype from Standard to Fixed(2 decimals).

Re-run your calculations and see the difference and do get back to me.

Best regards
Manish Batola

QUESTION: Hi Manish,

Thanks for your speedy answer.  I changed the datatype from Standard to Fixed.  However, it did not change the final output; it is still displaying the total to the nearest whole number.  In fact, my figures are now being displayed without commas i.e. figure 90,564.00 is now being displayed as 90564.00

I wonder if it is possible for me to attach the Access 2013 document so that you can analyze it and assist further.  This is because the only option I can see is for attaching an image, not a document.  I don't mind even if you take several extra days, in case you are pressed for time.  Kindly confirm.

Hi Micheal,
If its not very confidential you can have the Access database zipped and sent to me on or for me to further analyze it. Perhaps I can try to resolve the structure and have it sent back to you.

Pls send me both the Front-end and backend database or if in a single file it will be much better.

Best regards
Manish Batola

Using MS Access

Manish Batola

ALL MICROSOFT ACCESS DESIGN AND Development QUESTIONS which occur in a Access Projects Lifecycle. Can offer constructive help on Designing Advanced MS-ACCESS Applications such CRM/FRM(Follow-up),HSE-Health,Safety & Environmental Applications,School Management Systems,Hotel Software, Hospital Software,Chemicals Indenting,Import/Export,MRP - Manufacturing Resource Planning, ERP - Enterprise Resource Planning, Automotive Management Systems, Business Intelligence for Oil & Gas Drilling Operations, CRM,KPI- Key Performance Indicators,HealthCare, Hospitality, Constructions, Loyalty Clubs, Call Centers, Travel & Tourism, Educational Institutions, Industrial Strength Invoicing and many more being added every year.

29+ yrs in the Software industry with 23yrs completely dedicated on more than 350 Various Microsoft Access Projects from different Industry Sector[s]. I'm using Access ever since it was born.

Worked in various multinationals catering from Aerospace, Oil & Gas etc.

-BSc - Computer Science -MSAP (Master in Software & Applications Programming) -BPRE (Business Process Re-engineering Engineer) -SQAE (Software Quality Assurance Engineer) -STIE (Software Testing & Inspection Engineer) -Project Engineer (Software Development)

Catered to various clients in the following industries • Oil & Natural Gas (BPM/CRM/Access Development) • Sales / Marketing (CRM) • Automotive (Automobile Dealers) • Logistics & Indenters (Import/Export) • HealthCare / Hospitals • Hotels 3* & 5* • Restaurants • Construction Co’s (Project Billing) • Clubs (Concept Selling) • Shoe-Chains • Solicitors/Lawyers • Call Centers • Aerospace (Preventive Maintenance) • Travel & Tourism • Computer Vendors • Manufacturing • Music Shops • Education • Data Warehousing • Health,Safety & Environmental Applications • Mud Engineering • School Management Software