Using MS Access/command buttons

Question
Hi Scott,

First of all, thank you so much for your help.  My database is going good so far.  I am stuck on one thing.  I have a form where the user enters a record, then at the bottom of the form there is a command button to print a report that contains the current record that was entered into the form.  This works perfectly but only if I save the record first.  If I don't save first, then the report is blank.  I would like the user to be able to print the report using only one button.  It just seems to be odd to have to click a save button and then a print button.  Can the save action and print current record action be easily achieved using only one command button?  Here is what I have so far..

Private Sub Command110_Click()
Dim strReportName As String
Dim strCriteria As String

If NewRecord Then
MsgBox "This Purchase Order Request contains no data."

Exit Sub

Else

strReportName = "REQUISITION"
strCriteria = "[PO_ID]='" & Me![PO_ID] & "'"
DoCmd.OpenReport strReportName, acViewPreview, , strCriteria
End If
End Sub

Thanks for any help you can provide me on this.
Carla

Answer
Sure. Access doesn't commit a record until the record loses focus or you consciously save it. That's why the report is blank, because, until its committed, the PO_ID for the currently displayed record isn't in the table yet.

Use the following. The Dirty property indicates whether there are any uncommitted changes in the current record. By setting it to False you force the changes to be committed. So you want to use that instead of testing for a NewRecord. This way when you choose to print, you get the most up to date record.

Private Sub Command110_Click()
Dim strReportName As String
Dim strCriteria As String

Me.Dirty = False

strReportName = "REQUISITION"

End Sub

Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Website: http://www.diamondassoc.com
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Using MS Access

Scottgem