Using MS Access/Parameter query

Question
Hello Scott!
Back once again.
I am trying to filter a date range for a report in Access 2010.
Using a simple parameter query I can enter the start date in the window when requested and then the end date in the next window. I recall seeing somewhere that I can achieve the same result by simply entering the start date and end date in a single window. My understanding is that this method involves the use of an unbound form and a couple of text boxes together with some VBA programming. I cannot seem to get around this though.
Perhaps you could help please.

Answer
Yes, but no VBA is involved. This works because you can reference a value in any control on an open form using the syntax:

Forms!formname!controlname

So you create a form, leave it unbound (call it frmDateRange). Then add 2 text boxes (name them txtStart and txtEnd). Then add a button to run the report. In the query that is the Recordsource of the report, set the criteria to:

BETWEEN Forms!frmDateRange!txtStart AND Forms!frmDateRange!txtEnd

The report will be filtered for that range.

One trick I use is to set the Default Property for the text boxes to:

DMin("[datefield]","queryname")  and DMax("[datefield]","queryname") for txtStart and txeEnd respectively. This way the user can get the full report if they don't want to filter it.

Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Website: http://www.diamondassoc.com
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Using MS Access

Scottgem