Using MS Access/Reorder points and email notifications

Good Afternoon,

Is there a way for Access 2003 to email our purchasing department when an inventory item reaches, or fall below a reorder point?

Thank you,

Stuart P

Hi Stuart,

Sorry for getting back late. Well, it can be done and this is how usually it is done:

1. Create a table (tblMinInvLvl) with minimum inventory levels for the items. Fields: Item, MinInvLvl, OrderQty

2. Create query by joining your tables (item table, vendor information table) to this new table. Make sure that you extract at least these fields: item, OrderQty, vendor email address.

3. Now using Windows task scheduler, open the database every hour.

4. On the OnOpen event of your Main Menu form (I am assuming that you have a form what opens automatically whan you open the database), run a set of VBA code to:

Run the new query. Use DoCmd.RunQuery method.
Prepare and send an email for each of the vendors. Follow the example at:

I hope this helps.

Using MS Access

Mark Kaphle

I can answer most questions on database design using Access. I can help with VBA too. I can integrate engineering and business needs in the database design.

I have more than 15 years of MS Access database design experience.

College degree in engineering. Graduate degrees in engineering and management. Current PHD student - concentration Industrial Engineering.