Using MS Access/MS Access 2007 "Like" command

I'm putting together a class history for the first graduating class from the US Air Force Academy.  I have a query which lists names, duties and assignment locations.  I would like to search within that list for specifics, with considerations for variations on entry format.  For example I would like to use "test pilot" as the criteria and get back everyone with "test pilot", "student test pilot", "test pilot instructor", etc.  For my query criteria I tried using "Like "*enter selection criteria*", but only get back items which exactly match my request  (in my example, using "test pilot" in the like statement gives me a list of test pilots, but not students, instructors, etc.

What is the proper command to put into a query criteria to get both the selected request and items which contain the selected request and additional information?

Like "*" & [Enter selection criteria] & "*"

By including the Asterisks within the brackets you are replacing them when you enter the criteria.

P.S. Sorry to take so long to respond, I missed seeing the question.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA