Using MS Access/MS Access and Forms

Question
QUESTION: Hi Bob,

I am creating a Access database to use in a repair shop. I would like to be able to have a list of potential repair parts populate into the form when the top lever repair part number is entered. I need to have is generate 3 sets of columns with Part Number, Description, Quantity and Scrap/Rework. the parts table has the top level P/N in left most column and then each row has the above noted fields. Really stuck on this one. I hope I was clear enough. This is the last part I need to complete the form.

Thank you,

Phil Lehrer

ANSWER: Phil
I have a solution for you, however this is not a question that I can quickly answer in a short response here. It would be quicker to just let me show you how to do it Or do it for you while you watch. If you send me your Access file, I can write the code, explain how it works As I work on your file, and send it back. I charge an hourly fee however to do this.Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Bob Heifler

You may contact me at:
www.myaccessprogram.com\contact.html

QUESTION: Bob,

Thanks for the quick feedback. I am more looking for guidance than someone to do the job for me. Could you possible give me some basic idea on how to do it please.

Thank you,

Phil

Answer
You could have a first combo box choose the primary part. On the after update event of that, box the second combo box would be populated with the sub parts. This would be accomplished by dynamically changing the criteria of the row source query of the second combo box. Choosing an item on the second box would trigger by the after update event,an append query that would add the sub part to the repair order. The subform containing the order details would be refreshed using the record source property of that subform.
"Cascading combo boxes" would be a good search term.
Bob
Www.myaccessprogram.com
PS There are 22 free video tutorials on my website an additional information on my blog
Wwwdailyaccesstips.com

Using MS Access

Bob Heifler