Using MS Access/Table for phone numbers

Hi Scott

I am back again seeking more assistance from the Access guru.

What I want to do in my database is to manage multiple telephone numbers for individuals. I have one individual for example for whom I have no less than five contact phone numbers; home, work (direct line), work (switchboard), mobile (personal), mobile (work).

I think I would be better off having a separate table for phone numbers and linking that table to the person. It would no doubt be a one to many relationship.

My tables would, I think, be:

Tbl Clients
ClientID      (Auto number)   Primary key
FirstName      (Text)
LastName      (Text)

Tbl PhoneNumbers
PhoneNumberID          (Auto number)   Primary key
ClientID      (Number)   Foreign key
PhoneDescription   Text
PhoneNumber      Text

I am not quite sure how I should go about it though. I thought, perhaps, that you could give me some guidance.

Many thanks Scott for all your assistance and advice in the past.

You are almost there. The only thing I would do is not use a text field for Phone Description. I would use a lookup table with an Autonumber PK and then use the PhoneDescriptionID as your foreign key.

I would have a subform for the Phone #s table and enter the data that way.  

Using MS Access

I can answer almost all types of questions relating to Microsoft Access usage and application design. My strengths are database and interface design.

I've been designing databases for over 25 years working with dBase, FoxPro, Approach and Access.

Author of Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA
Techncial Editor for Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports & Queries From Que Publishing

Brooklyn College BA