Using MS Access/How to use combo box to choose monthly reports

I am trying to build a database that records specimen batched at different temperatures from different laboratories. I was able to build a simple table and form where the user can choose from list of options in combo box (month, day of the week, department, storage temperature, send out location for specimen) and input some other data like date, batch sheet number, number of specimen on a particular batch sheet. I need some of this information to be grouped monthly for the different departments ie. Monthly sum for Chemistry, Cytogenetics, etc. How can I do this using a combo-box where the user chooses the month?  I created queries that group the specimen based on departments and months but I don't know what to do next. Your suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks.

Making a combo box with monthly values is easy. Just make a VALUE LIST where the values are:

1, "January", 2, "February" - and so on

You can then use that field along with whatever other criteria you have on your form as criteria for your query, such as:

And so on.

In my Microsoft Access Search Seminar I cover lots of different techniques like this.

Using MS Access

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any kinds of questions about Microsoft Access - from basic table design to advanced VBA programming. Also, please feel free to check the Access Tips & Tricks section of my web site, and free Access 101 tutorial.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access Tutorials. I have been teaching Access in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught Access expert. I have been building databases for clients since the early 90s. You can see a sample of my Access Tutorials on my web site at