Vacuum Cleaners/Vacuum Cleaner Bags

My Vacuum cleaner is an Airflow 2000, and Model Number is AFV500IT.
The dirt is sucking up really well, but instead of going INTO the bag it is going on the OUTSIDE of the bag, right down behind the bag, and clogging up the filter that goes into the motor. The bag also is empty. I checked that I have the right bag, and I do ( have been using that size anyway for 5 years). Do you know why this is happening? I have to keep stopping the cleaner, clearing the blockage, and start again. After 5 mins of vacuuming, I have to clean it all out again!

Gary, I apologize for the delay in answering your question!  It got placed into my Spam folder.  
Although I am not familiar with this brand or model, maybe I can help you think of possibilities. If the bag has a cardboard, could it be bent or broken?  Did you try an entirely new bag?  If it lacks a cardboard, could the bag be pulled away from the seal?  Or is there a tear in the bag?  Somehow the bag is being breached, if dirt goes into the compartment but not into the bag.  Check the area where the dirt path meets the dirt chamber.  
 I am sorry I am of such little help.  The bag being compromised is the only possible explanation.  Thank you for this question, and again I do apologize for the delay.  

Vacuum Cleaners

Please ask me any questions regarding the efficiency, durability, and value of 99.5% of today's vacuum cleaners, residential and commercial. I am able to help, also, with your residential carpet cleaners and vapor steamers. I cannot answer questions such as "how much should I pay for my vac?" "how often should I change the bag, belt, filter?" or "how often should I vacuum?" , etc. I also will not advise you how to use equipment for other than its original application; including any disassembly or modification not approved by the unit's manufacturer.

I am the owner of a well-established (sixty-plus years), family-owned & operated vacuum retail and repair business. We are a full service/warranty center for 99.5% of vacuums manufactured. I, personally, have extensive hands-on experience with today's most popular vacuum cleaners, I have not only used the vacs in my own home, I have repaired them. I have been in the floor care industry for over 25 years.

I have attended certification seminars with the industry's trade association. My education, however, has been mostly hands-on, carrying on a sixty year old tradition in a brick and mortar 'mom & pop' location.