Vacuum Cleaners/Hoover U6637900

Question
I noticed the hose suction isn't as strong as I remember (I may be remembering wrong). I have confirmed that the hoses are not clogged, including the "tube" on the back of unit that feeds the dirt collecter, and I inspected the hoses for cracks.  There is ALOT of suction at the motor inlet but this doesn't translate to hose suction.  I removed the cylindrical filter (not while vacuuming, just checking suction)to see if it was the culprit but it didn't improve the suction.  I know that when using the hose the vacuum is sucking from both the hose and beater bar area so it won't be as strong as at the motor inlet but it should be stronger than it is.  Am I remembering wrong or can you suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks for your time and any guidance you can provide!

Norman

Answer
Hi Norman.  Thank you for your question.  All right, since you checked your filter and could see light through it, we can move on.  Please visit searspartsdirect.com for a detailed parts breakdown on this model.  
 As everything else checked out okay, please reference diagram parts numbers 19,39, 40, and 41.  This door is a diverter for the suction.  Sometimes, the arm, #41 breaks.  If you listen carefully while sliding the selector to the tools setting, you may hear the door flap into place.
I don't know how handy you may be, or how confident you are in these kind of repairs.  If you are not comfortable, please take your vacuum to the local authorized Hoover service center.  Some will not charge anything for an estimate.
 Good luck to you.  I hope this helps.

Vacuum Cleaners

Lisa