Vacuum Cleaners/Hoover Steam Vac Deluxe F5851

My machine started leaking profusely on the left side.  When I opened up the machine, the water was collecting in the overflow tube. I thought the problem was with the water tube that leads to the cleaning appliance connector, so I blocked the flow of water from the beginning to this part since I never use this.  I tried squirting the water and the leak was no more.  When I put it all together, I found that the brushes no longer worked.   Thought maybe a vacuum was lost because of my repair, so I put a tube back on the connection and blocked it with my finger.  Still doesn't move.

Hi Kim. Thank you for your question. All right, so the leak is a non-issue now. Let's address the brush malfunction. Please remove the lower dirty water tank. Remove the lid. Please inspect the gasket seal on the inside of the indentation. It should be unbroken and supple. Please reinstall, ensuring the tabs are catching the lip on the rim of the lower part of the tank. You will get an audible 'snap' when you pivot the lid, signaling it is indeed lock sealed.  Please remove the brushblock from the unit. Humor me, and spin the post. The brushes spin? If  not, leave them out for a minute. We should check the turbine. So, grab a slender pencil, or screwdriver.  Release the handle so it is in the approximate position one would use it. You may require a helper here. You want to look up at the square hole where the brushblock pin would go. Turn on the unit, again with the handle released as if in use position. Does the square hole turn? It may be turning so quickly you cannot tell. If so, use the slim screwdriver to help you determine.  If it does, and the brushes spin by hand when you removed them, check the filter debris screen. Something is reducing the suction. Reseat the tank lid & the tank itself.
 If the square hole did not turn, and most likely this is the case,  the turbine is bad. Your local Hoover authorized service center should be able to get the part for you. They can best advise you from there.
 Best of luck. I hope this does help. Thank you again for your question.

Vacuum Cleaners

Please ask me any questions regarding the efficiency, durability, and value of 99.5% of today's vacuum cleaners, residential and commercial. I am able to help, also, with your residential carpet cleaners and vapor steamers. I cannot answer questions such as "how much should I pay for my vac?" "how often should I change the bag, belt, filter?" or "how often should I vacuum?" , etc. I also will not advise you how to use equipment for other than its original application; including any disassembly or modification not approved by the unit's manufacturer.

I am the owner of a well-established (sixty-plus years), family-owned & operated vacuum retail and repair business. We are a full service/warranty center for 99.5% of vacuums manufactured. I, personally, have extensive hands-on experience with today's most popular vacuum cleaners, I have not only used the vacs in my own home, I have repaired them. I have been in the floor care industry for over 25 years.

I have attended certification seminars with the industry's trade association. My education, however, has been mostly hands-on, carrying on a sixty year old tradition in a brick and mortar 'mom & pop' location.