Vacuum Cleaners/ORECK vacuum cleaner MOTOR brushes

Question
Lisa:
OORECK Model #XL9100C, Serial #1101326. We have owned this ORECK XL vacuum for many years and it has been a good performer for us. This morning, after plugging in the cord and turning it on, all I heard was a hesitating motor trying to turn over. I removed the bottom cover, removed the drive belt, turned the switch on again . .  same noise. Is it possible to replace the carbon brushes in this motor? If so, how? They are enclosed in a rectangular sleeve which is eyeleted to a fiberboard base. I would have to unsolder two pairs of red and white wires, which is not an obstacle for me. Am I looking at replacing the motor itself?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dan

Answer
Hi Dan. Thank you for your question. You sound like you have a strong working knowledge of motors and/or things electrical. I assume you checked the length of the carbons & they are worn too low. To my knowledge, most of the carbon brushes are not available by themselves from TTi, the new owners of Oreck vacuum cleaners. I am sure you can purchase the brushes somewhere on line. However, they will most likely be replacement (after-market). If so, it may be hard to determine if they are correct for your model. Usually, at our store we simply replace the entire motor. Much less hassle.
Thanks again for asking. Good luck to you.

Vacuum Cleaners

Lisa