Vacuum Cleaners/my long hair sheds

Question
I have very long and curly hair that sheds alot. I have tried traditional vacuums and vacuums designed for pet hair. These have all proven to be extremely frustrating. I break belts easily, even when i clean the "full" brushes every 5 minutes. Uhg! I want a vacuum that will pick up my hair without all this hassle. Any insight? Thanx :-)

Answer
Hi Rachel, and thank you for your question.  As I assume a new shorter hair style is out of the question, I have a couple of alternatives for you:
Instead of a broom, consider a carpet rake. You would use it prior to vacuuming. Not only will it minimize the loose hair, it will also lift the nape of the carpet. Your carpet will look better and last longer. There are two different versions to consider, the Perky Rake (more for domestic use) or the GrandiGroomer (commercial/professional use).
 However, another alternative for the problem is the purchase of a commercial, 'old school' upright, the Sanitaire by Electrolux, Model SC886, or the 'baby sister' of the SC886, from the Professional line of Sanitaire, the Model S675 or S647. What we are looking for is one with the chromed steel brushroll.
 These units are something your mother or grandma may have had. They look very old fashioned, and they only do one thing. They vacuum carpet. Really, really, well. And the best part of the vac is that metal brushroll. It has serious bearings, protected from the encroachment of long, curly hair. IF hair should get wrapped around the bearings, by some miracle, it won't spell disaster. The hair won't bind enough that the heat transfers from the brushroll ends to the base, melting the part that holds the brushroll itself.
 We see this so very often! Probably on average, four out of five days someone comes in with a melted brushroll, base, bottom plate, etc. All from human HAIR. Like monofilament fishing line, it wraps around and stretches, and is very strong.
 One thing I haven't seen very often, in fact, once in about 25 years, is a Sanitaire brushroll that HAS been destroyed by hair in the bearings. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
 I did a quick search on Amazon for these units. The prices are scary. Please, don't spend more than about $210., including tax on a blue line Sanitaire. That's just insane.
 Anyway, I hope this helps and gives you some hope! Thanks again for your question!  

Vacuum Cleaners

Lisa