Vacuum Cleaners/VACUUM for Higher Pile Carpet

Question
Hello,
I have tried three different vacuums over the past three months and took them all back. I have a new Mohawk Smart Strand carpet in my bedroom that is a higher looser pile than my living  and dining room rugs which are very low pile. The vacuums I've tried (Hoover Bagless, Panasonic, and Shark Navigator get "stuck" while trying to vacuum the bedroom rug.  I've read that I should use a non-brush roll vacuum with that carpet,i.e. a "straight air" appliance.  Can you suggest any vacuums that are good for higher pile carpets but are affordable and not $500 or $600 !!??
Thank you.
Betty

Answer
Hi Betty! Congrats on your lovely new carpet! That Mohawk SmartStrand is soft as a baby's behind, isn't it? So awesome to wriggle your toes in!
 So, now you come back to reality: How the heck will you keep it clean? Unfortunately, the vac industry is scratching its collective heads also. The manufacturers are a little behind on the new trend. However, I do have some recommendations of features to look for when you buy:
 ~ You must get a manual height adjust vacuum! You can get away without the brushroll shut-off, but the vacuum needs to be able to lift way high up, so it doesn't wrap the fibers around the brushroll. For this reason, I suggest Simplicity or Riccar specific models only.
 ~ You must get one with the larger rear wheels or it will sink just like the others.
 ~ If you buy one without a brushroll, you will not get the deep-down dirt out of the carpet. If you can't remove that, every step you take on your carpet will grind in the dirt into the backing, weakening & loosening the fibers. It will need to be replaced long before expected. Nothing destroys a carpet faster or more thoroughly than ground-in deep dirt.
 ~ Visit your local independent vacuum dealer. Find out if you can get a loaner. Or if you can return a vacuum if it doesn't work for you. If he won't, go elsewhere.
 ~ You can save yourself some time & effort if you take a piece of the carpet along with you when you go shopping.
 ~ Do NOT get a Dyson or an Oreck. You will be severely disappointed. And, bagged is better, because a bagless will clog up even faster with new carpet.
 Remember how good this carpet feels between your toes when you get frustrated! Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't want or cannot afford.
 I do suggest the Simplicity Synchrony units. However, the price listed online is out of your budget. BUT, this is only the INTERNET LIST PRICE. Your local dealer may have it for considerably less in his store. He cannot quote over the phone, but if you visit, maybe...
 I hope this helps you, Betty. Enjoy your Mohawk! And thanks, again for your question.  

Vacuum Cleaners

Lisa