Vacuum Cleaners/Self-propelled belt

My Hoover Self-propelled U6637900 vacuum has lost its suction. I have purchased replacement belts and cleaned all hoses. My question is how snug should the self-propelled belt (the thinner of the two) be? Mine seems to be more loose than I expected. I can turn the roller without turning the belt. I'm wondering if I should purchase another one to see if it fits more snugly.

Hi Vicki, and thanks for the question.  First let me ask you if you have suction at the hose?  Is it just not picking up when you use it on the carpet?  99 times out of 100, that is solved with a new belt.
The skinny -034 belt works on friction, not tension.  It will always be loose. The wider rubber belt, the -035, will stretch & should be replaced about every three months, whether the unit is used or not. It is ALWAYS stretching. The skinny belt should be replaced about every two years. Although it does NOT stretch, it does wear.  You may see some cracks and/or glazing on the inside of the belt.
 There is another possible reason for the loss of suction. For that, please refer to, enter your model number in the Search box. This will bring up a list of group schematics. Choose the "Foot Assembly" group. If you pan down, you will see item #19, the Door.  Sometimes, the spring (#40) or arm (#39) on this door gets damaged, locking the door closed.  If this is the case, I suggest you take it to your local Authorized Hoover Service Center for an evaluation.  You may want to rethink this repair.
 Please remember, in 99% of the cases, the loss of suction at the carpet level is due to a stretched belt.
 Thank you again, Vicki. And I hope this helps.

Vacuum Cleaners

Please ask me any questions regarding the efficiency, durability, and value of 99.5% of today's vacuum cleaners, residential and commercial. I am able to help, also, with your residential carpet cleaners and vapor steamers. I cannot answer questions such as "how much should I pay for my vac?" "how often should I change the bag, belt, filter?" or "how often should I vacuum?" , etc. I also will not advise you how to use equipment for other than its original application; including any disassembly or modification not approved by the unit's manufacturer.

I am the owner of a well-established (sixty-plus years), family-owned & operated vacuum retail and repair business. We are a full service/warranty center for 99.5% of vacuums manufactured. I, personally, have extensive hands-on experience with today's most popular vacuum cleaners, I have not only used the vacs in my own home, I have repaired them. I have been in the floor care industry for over 25 years.

I have attended certification seminars with the industry's trade association. My education, however, has been mostly hands-on, carrying on a sixty year old tradition in a brick and mortar 'mom & pop' location.