Vacuum Cleaners/Kenmore Progressive 116.27615701 stopped working

Hi Lisa,
My vacuum just stopped working while vacuuming.  The wand with the switch works fine with an identical vacuum. My vacuum won't work with the wand from the working vacuum.  I presume that either the fuse is blown, the circuit board is no good or the fan motor is shot.  The problem is I don't know how to get to the motor compartment to repair it. Also, given what I think could be the problem, could you tell me what is the likely cause from most likely to least likely.  Have I missed a likely possibility.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Carolyn! Thanks for the question.  Have you tried the vacuum today?  Or did you yesterday after about an hour? Did it start again? And if so, did it once again stop?
 Could it be that it is shutting itself off via the thermal relay? To avoid burning up the motor, if airflow is restricted, the vacuum will turn off before it burns up.
Please send me a follow up.
 Thank you.

Vacuum Cleaners

Please ask me any questions regarding the efficiency, durability, and value of 99.5% of today's vacuum cleaners, residential and commercial. I am able to help, also, with your residential carpet cleaners and vapor steamers. I cannot answer questions such as "how much should I pay for my vac?" "how often should I change the bag, belt, filter?" or "how often should I vacuum?" , etc. I also will not advise you how to use equipment for other than its original application; including any disassembly or modification not approved by the unit's manufacturer.

I am the owner of a well-established (sixty-plus years), family-owned & operated vacuum retail and repair business. We are a full service/warranty center for 99.5% of vacuums manufactured. I, personally, have extensive hands-on experience with today's most popular vacuum cleaners, I have not only used the vacs in my own home, I have repaired them. I have been in the floor care industry for over 25 years.

I have attended certification seminars with the industry's trade association. My education, however, has been mostly hands-on, carrying on a sixty year old tradition in a brick and mortar 'mom & pop' location.