Vacuum Cleaners/vac motor

Question
Hi! I have a motor i salvaged from an old bissel upright; I was hoping to use it as a drive motor for a rock tumbler. Is there an easy way to get a cord reattatched to it so I can plug it in & see if it even works? I'd send a pic but im not quite sure how to from my android. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Hi Mike! Thank you for your question. This one is fun because I tumble rocks also. So let's start with powering that motor. Do you have a cheater cord? You can make one from any old, working electrical cord. Just cut off the non-outlet end, strip the wires back about an inch, and attach Protected  alligator clips to each wire end. Then you can simply clip the common and the ground wires on the motor.  You want to attach the clips to the blades on either side, near the carbon brushes, usually. If you use a outlet power strip, you will have a switch to turn it off and on. Hold on firmly to the motor when you hit the switch.
Now for the fun part of the answer: my tumbler took too long and it burned out quickly. We put a vac powerhead motor on it instead. Fair warning to you:  I got sand. Rather quickly.  True story. So be careful of that Bissell motor or your lovely rocks may tumble into dust.
Thanks again. Good luck and have fun!

Vacuum Cleaners

Lisa