Vacuum Cleaners/Kenmore canister vac switch problem

Question
How do I replace a switch assembly on a Kenmore canister vac mod.116-27085791?  The foot plate will not rock the switch below it to the on or off position.  The switch lever itself seems to be intact...not broken off.  Is it the switch or the foot plate which moves the switch?  With the cover plate off the switch works at turning on the motor.  Nothing seems to be missing on the on/off switch foot plate.

Answer
Hi Ken, I am not quite clear what you mean by "foot plate."  Did you look up the model on Searspartsdirect.com? The parts breakdown there lists a 'switch button' and a toggle switch. Both parts are still available. Perhaps you can just add a shim to the cover if it is not letting the button make contact.
 Please shoot me a follow up question if the parts drawing doesn't answer your question.
Thank you for your question! Have a good day.

Vacuum Cleaners

Lisa