Vascular Surgery/leg valves

LLMH wrote at 2013-03-14 06:53:48
I too suffer from vein problems and have so for 25 years. I developed an ulcer on the inside of my left leg, and I must say, this was the most painful thing I have ever endured.  I suffered for nearly 2 years with the ulcer and had seen over six different doctors and visited emergency rooms with no help. It seems to me that unless doctors have personally experienced this chronic difficulty of the venous system they simply don't take an interest. I say this with great sadness because I am in the medical field. It took an outsider who noticed me limping while walking that referred me to a vascular doctor who had varicose difficulties of his own. I made an appointment and in the first 5 minutes  he put a tegasorb patch on over my ulcer with a waterproof patch over that.  It was instant pain relief. The tegasorb helps the wound heal and the waterproof patch helps capture the leakage oozing from the ulcer. It did take several months to finally heal. I also underwent several treatments to close off the troubled veins using injections.  Look into  both of these treatments. You should not be in this much pain - please continue the cessation of smoking and control the weight - if not you will forever contribute to further difficulties. Good luck LLM

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota