Vascular Surgery/Fem-Pop

Question
I have been trying to find online why the saphenous vein is used in a fem-pop bypass. How does the blood return back to the heart if the vein has been removed? Why isn't an artery used since it is the artery that is narrowed?

Answer
we have lots of extra veins, the GSV is large enough to accommodate the bloodflow for the arterial system, tho the  valves have to be removed to make it an artery. when the GSV is removed the blood is forced into the deep vein system - which is meant to carry 80% of the blood anyway- to return it to the heart, so nothing is really altered except the route
if they used an artery it would deprive the area that THAT artery feeds of blood
hope this helps
lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway