Vascular Surgery/pain in the leg after vascular surgery

Question
On Oct. 29, my husband had 3 stints put in--when they removed the stunt the nurse ripped a hole in his vein.  On 10/31 he had vascular surgery to repair the hole (at one point they thought there were several).  When the hole was ripped Hospital staff spent over an hour trying to get the bleeding stopped and used an unusual amount of pressure on his leg. The vascular surgeon has been wonderful except for answering the question about the pain that is occurring from mid thigh to below his knee.  We have had sonograms (one yesterday even so no blood clots) but the pain is constant.  He keeps it elevated as much as he can (He works at home and is trying to make up being out of commission for a month.  He takes tylenol extra strength.  He has some vicodin but feels worse from taking that without it---he has used it once.  Would heat, ice, baths (which I am not sure he can take a bath yet because of his stitches --they are out FYI) We are at our wits end.

Answer
madelyn
the first thing i see is the elevation, unless there is swelling in his foot and ankle, elevation may not be necessary and it (elevation) can cause pain in an arterially compromised leg as the blood flow has to fight gravity as well and this further decreases perfusion (how the blood 'feeds' the muscles, nerves, skin etc) and can cause pain. so, IF there is no swelling in the foot ankle, i would suggest he not elevate as much as he is- he may have to adjust his elevation as the day goes on....but if he has less pain with the leg in a dependent position, this may help.
advil may help more than tylenol- IF HE CAN SAFELY USE ADVIL or IBUPROFEN as it is an anti-inflammatory as well as pain killer.
moist warm application to the area can really help, get a handtowel wet, & wring it out, put it in the microwave for a short bit (depending on how strong your microwave is) SHAKE TOWEL OUT TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then put it right on the skin to allow the moist heat to penetrate the skin.
and remember the best healing is tincture of time. it will simply take time, there may not be any really wrong, just bodies need time to recover from injury whether surgery or trauma. hope this helps lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway