Vascular Surgery/Post Op Fem Fem Bypass

I am a 42-yr-old female; 5'3 and 135 lbs; I am healthy- (though I do have Crohn's disease which is currently in remission) not diabetic, hypertensive, and have normal cholesterol levels. That said, on 12/12/12 I underwent bilateral Fem Fem Bypass due to a blocked right external iliac artery. The artery was injured during a previous surgery a year ago. Nonetheless, since my surgery I have noticed an exceptional amount of numbness of the right thigh down to mid-knee. But at the same time I also am experiencing pain the in muscle. It feels very tight and sore as if I have over-used it. Is this par for course after this type of surgery? If so, how long for it to recover and is there anything I can do to encourage recovery?

bilateral fem fem? you mean from groin to groin across abdomen? with a synthetic graft?
numbness is is very common with vascular surgery as the blood vessels and the nerves all live in the same neighborhood. there is always a risk of permanent damage to the nerves but this is not usually the case, i will proceed as if i know this is not the case:
with a surgery just 2 weeks old i would believe it is a normal irritation of the nerves, i think of the nerves as teenagers, easy to tick off and slow to forgive. you likely have some irritation that is sending out messages to your brain that the nerves are not happy. once the incision is well healed and you have permission from your surgeon i would suggest massage, self massage. if you are unsure you can have a massage therapist teach you the skills but it needs to be your hands and fingers that do the work as the nerves in your hands connect directly to the nerves in your surgical site thigh, this makes a connection to your brain connecting the circuit. i cant say there is scientific evidence of this but i can say it have seen it work hundreds of times in situations just such as yours. gentle massage to start but if you dont touch these areas, it will start a different type of feedback loop which can lead to chronic pain. start with conscious touch when washing or applying lotion, and before long, things will return to normal.
hope this helps, lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota